Monday 11 July 2011

Frayed Fabrics

One of my themes for the end of the month is titled 'Frayed Fabrics'. I admit I was stumped as to how to go about this swap (as I seem to be a lot lately!) and a google search didn't provide much inspiration.
In the end I came up with the idea of using a jacquard woven fabric and using the back with the floating threads to provide colour and 'fray'. When put into practice though, stitching a border and some squiggled shapes to hold the threads when I cut them, the back didn't look nearly as nice as the front. I sighed and slumped back in my chair feeling defeated when my eye fell upon some frayed and twisted strips of sari silk I had picked up at a craft fair.
Arranging a few on the front of the ATCs it looked lovely and abstract- not really what I was aiming for but I continued anyway, reasoning that I had several more weeks to come up with an idea for the frayed swap. Here are the failed experiments turned abstract art:


I tried again, using a different part of the heavily patterned fabric, with different shapes on....

 ...but it still didn't look frayed enough.

Despondent, I was about to give up for the day, when I suddenly arrived at the idea of using the circular sections of the fabric, stitching around the circles and then cutting and fraying the middle. I could use a reflective surface underneath (like shisha mirrors!) and base my idea on the pattern of the fabric. I had experimented with fraying the edges on all of the previous ATCs as the fabric used frays really nicely. Here are my final cards!


All essentially the same- same section from the repeated pattern, stitching using black cotton (although if I'd had some, I'd have jazzed it up with gold thread in the bobbin), frayed circles with tin foil underneath, a circle of frayed and twisted sari silk and the frayed edges. I suppose it doesn't look much for the amount of work that went into coming up with the idea but I like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment