Monday 4 July 2011

Weeping Angels

I have signed up for a swap on the theme of triptychs (which for those who don't know, means that I have to make three 'panels' that fit together- you often find wooden painted ones in churches depicting biblical scenes). I have received a triptych ATC before, you may remember the mermaid one by Sue, so kind of know what I have to do.

As well as being a triptych swap, we also have to include an angel. I didn't have any ideas at all so had to research it on the Internet (a fab way of getting inspiration). I quite liked the photos of angel statues in graveyards and was thinking of taking my own images and then editing them somehow when my mum suddenly produced a tiny, miniature angel. I was a bit unsure about getting any good photos of it as it is so tiny but had a go (super macro is a wonderful setting on a camera!) and produced some really nice images! I then zoomed in on these photos and played around with inverting the colours or adding coloured tints (you really don't need fancy programmes, I changed my images using a combination of Paint and Microsoft Word!!). Here are a few of my experiments:

One of my original images of the angel sitting on a step in my back garden.

 A zoomed in image (this was done on Paint) and an inverted colour version of the same image.


 Changing the contrast can also be interesting, and is easy to do on Microsoft Word. I really love the inverted version of this. It has an almost creepy and sinister appearance which goes against many depictions of angels. The slightly grainy appearance is due to moving it between the two programmes and enlarging the image however I really think it adds to the overall effect and will probably be the image I use on the actual cards.

So I was thinking of having the angel photo in the middle panel and then some writing or a poem on the other two sides. Again I foraged the Internet and came up with this really cute poem.

Angel In My Pocket

I am a tiny angel
I'm smaller than your thumb:
I live in people's pockets
That's where I have my fun.

 I don't suppose you've seen me,
I'm too tiny to detect:
Though I'm with you all the time,
I doubt we've ever met.

Before I was an angel....
I was a fairy in a flower;
God, himself, hand picked me,
And gave me angel power.

Now God has many angels
That He trains in angel pools:
We become His eyes and ears and hands
We become His special tools.

And because God is so busy,
With way too much to do;
He said that my assignment
Is to keep close watch on you.

When He tucked me in your pocket
He blessed you with angel care;
Then told me to never leave you,
And I vowed always to be there.

So I've got until August to make these cards so I will let you know how they are coming along!!

No comments:

Post a Comment