Saturday 30 July 2011

Sunset Silhouettes

This is a bit of a new avenue for me as this weeks project is making postcards rather than ATCs. These are supposed to be 6" by 4" (although somehow I got my measurements wrong and mine are more like 5.75" by 4"- I'm sure people won't mind though!).
The theme for these postcards was 'trees or leaves' and I decided to try and do a sort of sunset view. Looking on the Internet, I was particularly taken with this image...


Loved the delicate branches with the bold verticals of the tree trunks themselves!
So to begin my postcards, I painted a background onto calico using a variety of oranges, reds and yellows with lots of water to try and blend them into each other.


Then I cut out a silhouetted tree landscape in black felt, having worked out where I wanted the trees using tracing paper, and tacked it to the background.


Finally I dragged out the sewing machine and let myself loose, free machining on leaves, delicate branches and tall grasses. I have to admit I am really pleased of the way they have turned out- I think they work really well!!



I may find myself making a lot more postcards in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment